How to avoid natural gas scams
Quake Energy wants our Ohio customers to feel confident about our services. Unfortunately, we’ve seen an uptick in the the number of natural gas scams in our service areas. Some unscrupulous groups are attempting to use energy deregulation as an opportunity to take advantage of hardworking individuals. Here are a few guidelines to help you make educated choices and avoid scam artists:
1. If you receive a call threatening immediate electricity shut-off, but you believe you are up-to-date on your payments, hang-up and directly call your utility company.
2. Hesitate if asked to provide any payment information in order to “pre-pay” for an account. This is especially true if you are asked to purchase a pre-paid debit card.
3. Be wary of individuals calling on “behalf of government agencies”, especially if they offer to pay your electricity bill. These calls may be phishing scams seeking personal information such as your Social Security Number.
Legitimate natural gas providers will always:
1. Identify themselves at the beginning of the call.
2. Record the conversation for quality and safety purposes.
3. Ask a series of clear questions to confirm that you understand the terms of any agreement.
Do you think you’ve been a victim of a scam? Let us know: firstname.lastname@example.org
With spring in full swing, it's time to consider preparing your home for ... Read more
Fall is a wonderful time of year to live in Cleveland! Below is a list of ... Read more
It’s the most wonderful time of the year, Ohio! The holidays are upon us, ... Read more